Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Holiday Traditions - Sandy Blair


Holiday traditions tend to make for warm family memories, and for decades I’ve had the pleasure of creating a good many. For years our family (and any girlfriends, boyfriends, in-laws and out-laws who happen to be in town) would settle in our family room before a roaring fire on Christmas Eve to string popcorn and cranberries while everyone chatted, laughed and consumed quarts of spiked eggnog and pounds of homemade Christmas cookies and plum pudding with whiskey sauce, after which our stockings were hung by chimney with care.

And then my daughters married and the time had come to pass the holiday torch to them, so they might establish their own family traditions. Christmas gatherings now alternate between their homes. This year we’ll be at Rachael’s, where my traditional turkey dinner and eggnog has given way to her wonderful Christmas goose and awesome wine selection.

Last night as I was wrapping presents--and growing nostalgic, Rebecca called to ask, “Mom, when making garland, you use three cranberries to ten popcorn kernels, right? I want to make sure I have enough of each for Christmas Eve.” Smiling, I told her, “Yes.” Not five minutes later Rachael called asking for my sugar cookie recipe…which had been my mother’s. After hanging up I found myself grinning like an idiot, pleased both daughters thought some traditions were worth keeping.

May this holiday season bring you and yours more wonderful memories, much love and great happiness. And if you need a good holiday read, may I recommend A Highlander For Christmas. If you enjoyed the movie “Kate and Leopold” you’ll love Claire and Sir Cameron MacLeod in this heart-warming fish out of water tale.

Fondly,
Sandy and her Highlanders in Kilts.

5 comments:

Wolfy said...

It is always so great when our kids carry on some of the things we did when they were home. I hope that you have a great holiday.

Cherie J said...

Holiday traditions are such a warm and nostalgic thing. I plan on passing some down to my two little ones as well. Happy Holidays!

Michele L. said...

Hi Sandy,

I did like the movie, "Kate and Leopold". I will definitely buy the book, A HIGHLANDER FOR CHRISTMAS!

Holiday traditions make for a memorable holiday! I always make christmas cookies! Then, there are some Christmas programs that I always have to watch each year. Oh, I love the garlands made from popcorn and cranberries! I have never done it but I have seen it on other people's trees before.

Christmas is such a special time. I wish you and your family a blessed holiday season!

Michele L.

Maureen said...

It's always so nice when families carry on their traditions through the years. Happy Holidays!

Nathalie said...

I did not like that movie... I used to have traditions when I was growing up, but now as adults with no children... pointless!