Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Books and Bookstores

I have to admit it right up front. I haven’t prepared a blog for today, but I have a good reason!

I started work at our local independent bookstore this past summer. It’s a smallish store, but very cozy and fun, and it’s been in the town for over 30 years. In mid-September, the owner told us she was going to close the store in October and retire. There's no question she deserves to retire, but the thought of not having a bookstore in town was enough to throw me (and all our regular customers) into a full-blown panic.

Enter my husband who suggested we buy the store.

We. Us. Him and I. Who have never owned a store before.

My response to him? Hell ya!

Needless to say, it’s been full-on chaos ever since, what with paperwork, credit applications for various publishers and distributors, painting, organizing, reorganizing, ordering, reorganizing again, and trying to figure out the who, the what, and the what-the-hecks of running a bookstore.

Our new store, The Bookshelf, opened on November 12th and we couldn't be more excited.
To make it even more exciting, we've opened just in time for my December book, DANCING WITH THE DEVIL, to hit the shelves! In this sequel to THE DEVIL’S DAUGHTER, Deacon has returned from Hell to do the one thing he has never done before (and the one thing that is sure to earn him another eternity of fire and brimstone.)

He has come to right a wrong; to heal the heart of the only human he’s ever felt anything other than disdain for - the same heart he left shattered not so long ago. The problem is that Rhea will have nothing to do with him and tries to blow him into a million pieces on her front porch. It doesn’t look good for Deacon, and when his younger sister shows up on a mission from dear old Dad, things get decidedly worse for everyone.

I’ve posted an excerpt and reviews on my website and I hope you’ll stop by and get to know Deacon, Rhea and the entire town of Penance.

11 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hey, Laura, congratulations. I hope you guys have great success with the store and that it becomes a real center of your community.

As for the book... more congratulations. May your sales (in your store and beyond) be huge.

Maureen said...

Congratulations on the store and the book!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! And that would be a dream business for me, working in a bookstore. . . always being around those books, so very cool! :)

Lois

Jennie Lucas said...

Laura, you own a bookstore? What fun! My parents owned a bookstore when I was a kid. A lot of work, but such a joy. I hope it does fantastic and sells tons of books, especially yours!!

Jennie

Helen said...

Laura

I would love to own a bookstore I can't walk past one without going in good luck.
The book sounds great as well

Have Fun
Helen

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new store and your release.

mslizalou said...

Congrats on the store and the book. I would love to own a bookstore and be around books all day.

Pat Cochran said...

Congratulations and Best Wishes on
your new projects! Thanks for
coming to your town's aid!

Pat Cochran

Estella said...

Hope you have great success with your bookstore!

Michele L. said...

Holy Cow Laura! You lucky girl! I wish I owned a bookstore! Bookstores are my happy places. If I am down or depressed, all I have to do is go to my favorite bookstore nearby and I am instantly cheered up!

Woohoo! Congratulations on your book!

Hugs,
Michele L.

Laura Drewry said...

thanks, everyone! It's a LOT of work, but it's like Christmas every time a new order arrives. I can't wait until the box of my new release shows up. :)

Laura