Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

What you answer to - Dara Girard

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

I’ve always loved this quote. I learned that it’s not what someone calls you that matters, it’s what you answer to. When I was kid I was skinny (personally I prefer the term ‘slender’) and friends would call me Olive Oil and other such names in good fun. I didn’t mind it much in elementary school, but in middle school it was annoying and by high school the joke had run its course. By my mid-teens I’d filled out a bit and grown, but the name hadn’t. That’s usually what happens with labels, they stick. Fortunately, I didn’t let it. I ignored my name callers until they called me something else and they did--Party Girl…but that’s another story.


Unfortunately, Suzanne Rand, my heroine in WORDS OF SEDUCTION, hasn’t been able to remove the label her small town put on her years ago. She left there a frumpy, divorced housewife with little prospect and returns a successful author with gorgeous clothes and a drop dead figure. However, the town won’t let her forget who she used to be and she struggles to break free from the label. But she learns that it’s not how they see her that matters, but how she sees herself. In time she learns to embrace her new status and accept love.

I really enjoyed writing this component into the premise because labels belong on soup cans not people. As individuals, we have to tell the world who we are, not the other way around.

So, are there any old labels you’ve erased? Would like to erase?

Dara
http://www.daragirard.com/

2 comments:

Michele L. said...

Hi Dara,

Novel idea for a story line. Thinking about your question has made me think about a lot of things. I think the best label I have erased is that I am incompetent since I am a woman. I work in a male dominant field, architecture, and am respected for my knowledge and experience. At my very first job, the guys didn't think much of a lady doing architectural drafting but I have showed my stuff and have earned their respect. It's a tough world out there for us females so we need to band together!

Mary Kirkland said...

I think this is a great idea for a book. When I was in high school I was shy and completely introverted. I spent most of my free time in the school library and everyone told me I wouldn't be able to find happiness always having my nose stuck in a book.

HA! Were they wrong or what. I'm no longer shy but I am still a bookworm and that's not a bad thing. :)