Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Wearing Masks - Dara Girard

With Halloween just around the corner in the States I’m having fun promoting my new release PAGES OF PASSION because it’s premise fits into the theme of the season—dressing up and pretending to be someone else.


I’ve always enjoyed false identity stories:

Viola dressing like the twin brother Sebastian in Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night.

The Pauper pretending to be the prince in Mark Twain’s The Prince and the Pauper.

Rosalind pretending to be a male in Shakespeare’s As You Like It

In The Comedie of Errors Shakespeare has two sets of twins cause havoc (hmmm seems The Bard liked that premise to)

I could go on and on. Changing identities can be a thrill but can also cause trouble.

That’s exactly what Noreen and Michael find out in my latest release. Originally, the story was called “Midnight Masquerade” because they meet at a party where Michael is dressed as a pirate and Noreen as a witch. Their disguises suit them more than they’d like to admit. They met on a cruise under false pretenses. Noreen thinks Michaels is just a casual traveler like her, when he’s really on a covert operation. Michael thinks Noreen’s involved in a smuggling ring.

I really enjoyed playing with their identities how people perceived them and how they saw themselves. It was lots of fun and thoroughly enjoyable for me.

So, have you ever found yourself playing someone else? Or, what was one of your favorite costumes you dared to wear on Halloween?

http://www.daragirard.com/

3 comments:

Joanna St. James said...

Not exactly, I dont do physical costumes but I can easily weave a new character for myself when I meet people for the 1st time. I once told a class full of students my name was Jo Burg I was born in Johannesburg. They did nto want to blive me but I ended up convincing them, I wrote Jo Burg in all my Uni books and then laughed at them at the end of the week when they all thot they knew me. It was fun.

practimom said...

i have only dress up a couple of times as an adult. one year i wrapped myself in a fitted sheet and i was a mattress. the next year i wore a regular sheet and i was a fitted sheet. not to imaginative. But then i had my first boy and i dressed like a little girl in Pooh pj's and he was my "Baby Alive". That was fun. I brought him to work for about an hour.

Mary Kirkland said...

I ahve had some fun with costumes. I was a dominatrix one year...now that was fun. lol