Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

So zen...let's talk spiritual books

So, since we're all friends here, I'm going to confess that I love spiritual books. I do. It doesn't matter if it's about horse whispering or walking across hot coals, if it helps people to reach a zen-like calm in their lives, then I'm going to read it! Unfortunately, the scary thing is that despite how many of these books I have read over the years, by the end of 2010, I realized that I'd become pretty un-centered and was focusing on far too many petty things that were dragging me down, so my big resolution was to hit the books again and try and get some perspective back.

So here are my top three favorite spiritual books:



The Game of Life and How to Play It by Florence Scovel Shinn

I love this book! It was published in 1925 and I found it in a charity shop and bought it, not really even realizing what it was about. It's a lot like The Secret but the approach is more straightforward and though the language is old-fashioned, it's really cool. I also discovered later that this book was an early influence on Louise Hays!




The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra

This is one of those books that you read and think you understand and then months later it finally begins to make sense (or is that just me?). It's also cool to follow Deepak on Twitter since he often tweets inspiring quotes!



You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hays

This was the first spiritual book I ever read and I still dip back into it when I need to get focused.

So, those are my top three favorite spiritual books, but what about everyone else? Do you have any great books that I should be reading in my quest for a zen-like 2011??!

www.amandaashby.com

Fairy Bad Day Puffin June 2011
Zombie Queen of Newbury High out now

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Saint, by Ilya Kralinsky. You can find it on Amazon. This book covers the universe, what it truly is, what we are, where we're from, how we need to be members of a community, how to find calm even while everything storms around us -- I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Amanda Ashby said...

Michael - thanks, that sounds awesome - I'm off to check it out right now (and yes, I might have a wee addiction to these books!!!!!)

Nas said...

Hi Amanda,

It sounds good to read about how to get inner calm. Must try it!
Need inner peace urgently.

Amanda Ashby said...

Nas - I know that feeling! Here is to a 2011 that is filled with Inner Peace for both of us!!!!!!