Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Carrie Lofty: Respecting Creative Boundaries

Believe it or not, I initially imagined FLAWLESS as a near-slapstick romance, where a hapless husband and wife struggled comically against the elements in an usual setting. I kept imagining Goldie Hawn from Private Benjamin where she's sitting in a mud puddle sobbing about her situation.

Oh, gosh. Who did I think was gonna write this book??

About four minutes into the first draft, I realized exactly how daft my brain had been. I admire writers who do comedy well. I really admire them, because aside from cutting banter and wry, amusing comments, I'm not really known for comedic romances.

Angst, however. I love angst.

And especially considering the setting I'd chosen--colonial South Africa--did I expect clowns and farce? It wasn't the most pleasant of places, and it certainly wasn't a barrel of laughs for most of the intrepid pioneers who staked their lives on the gamble of diamond mining. I can imagine Cecil Rhodes laughing with his cronies while dividing up Africa on a map in the famous Kimberley Club, but that's about it.

Luckily, research and a firm trust in my voice led me to the right path. Miles wound up a deliciously sexy scamp. He's the right blend of Indiana Jones and someone sly and sneaky like Robert Downey Jr. His estranged wife, Viv, became a vulnerable yet steely young woman who has to take on both business and private matters to achieve the independence she craves.

But then came the angst, naturally, because she rather craves her husband too.

So yeah...what was I thinking?? Maybe I was imagining what sort of book a parallel universe version of myself would create. But back in this world, I truly hope readers fall in love with the lush, sensual, angst-fest that is FLAWLESS. I did, even without mud puddle farce.


http://www.twitter.com/CarrieLofty
http://www.facebooks.com/AuthorCarrieLofty

5 comments:

Laurie G said...

I love, love, love this cover. It's beautiful! The lush colors, the beautiful woman, the gorgeous dress!!!

The "Flawless" storyline sounds great too!

Carrie Lofty said...

Thanks, Laurie! Lush is the word everyone keeps using. I'm so tickled with the Pocket art department. I'm such a lucky girl!

Thanks to Lee and ASR for having me today. I'll be around if anyone has questions. Have a great week!

All the best,
Carrie

Sonali said...

I agree with Laurie G...The cover is Gorgeous. Flawless sounds like a fabulous read. Will have to add it to my must read list!

Mary Preston said...

I have FLAWLESS on my reading list already & that cover is to DIE for.

Unknown said...

This looks really good would love to read it.