Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

At Long Last


I love European settings in books.  I don’t know what it is about them and in essence the people that draws me in.  It has that…Je ne sais quoi type of sensation. The thing I can’t put my finger on.  It’s probably why I’m writing a new steampunk series for Carina Press set in 1850 London.

I’ve been to Germany and Austria and the Netherlands.  I loved it there.  I could wax poetic about the way I felt when roaming the cobblestone streets or touring the spectacular cathedrals and castles.  But no one wants to hear my poetry…trust me.  I long for the day that I can go back to those places, and add more to my touring schedule…places like France and Ireland and Scotland.  I really want to travel through France.  My sister lived there in a tiny village for a few months and I envy all the stories she has about her time there and the pictures of all the quaint towns and people she met along the way.

I long to see Paris, and Marseille, and Nice, and Lyon, and Nouveau Monde.  Say what?  Nouveau Monde?  Yes, that’s right.  It’s that picturesque city where the Otherworlder community has congregated.   Vampires and lycans and witches, and even humans live in relative peace and harmony in the beautiful progressive city.   It has much of the same look and feel of Lyon, with a long and wide river winding its way through the bustle of the city.   You should go there.  It’s gorgeous.  Just watch out for the nightlife…they just might bite.




Nouveau Monde is the city in France that my next Nocturne A WOLF’S HEART takes place.  It’s book six in the Valorian Chronicles and the last book.  Here’s a little bit about it…

Gabriel Bellmonte let his first love slip away, while loyalty to his kind kept him in Nouveau Monde fighting crime. But now the seasoned Lycan investigator has been handed his toughest assignment yet. “Shadow Elise Leroy’s every move,” is his order from above—something Gabriel will do with pleasure. Except his lingering attraction for Elise could be his downfall. She has returned a glamorous, successful actress, who now finds herself the target of a twisted stalker...and in need of 24-hour protection.

Gabriel is skilled at what he does, but he’ll need to sharpen his fangs against a formidable foe. Because he can’t risk the consequences to his reputation...or to the enticing little diva who has dramatically reclaimed his heart.

What kind of settings do you love?  Europe?  Asia?  Good old America?  What kind of settings do you long for?  Share your thoughts and I'll give away an eBook of GLIMMER to one person who leaves a comment!

Vivi


6 comments:

Lil said...

I am particularly fond of reading stories set in Europe but don't really know why.

little lamb lst at yahoo dot com

JeanMP said...

I enjoy reading stories set in Europe, because of the history that is there. Always seems so fascinating to read about.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Laurie G said...

I like books set in the Middle Eastern desert countries with sheiks and prince's of the desert. So exotic and different than our America culture. Primitive!

I also like tropical or island locales romantic, relaxing ,carefree...leaving one's inhabititions at home. Greek Islands too exotic, foreign, strong, dominant, Greek men!

Na said...

I'm drawn to Eurpean and old North American settings. I like ones that have a lot of history and am drawn to those set durings times of war, its aftermath or revolutionary times -when things are uncertain and changing.

Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

Michele L. said...

I love, love, love anything set in a foreign setting such as Asia, India, Persia since everything is so beautiful. Funny but my best friend's nickname is Sparkle and she gave me the nickname Glimmer. I just happened to think of that when I saw the book title.

Michele L. said...

I love, love, love anything set in a foreign setting such as Asia, India, Persia since everything is so beautiful. Funny but my best friend's nickname is Sparkle and she gave me the nickname Glimmer. I just happened to think of that when I saw the book title.