Pages

Friday, July 06, 2012

Tracey O'Hara: Choose your own Ending



I have been a fan of action, adventure, horror and fantasy from a very young age, so it’s no surprise that my stories are filled with the same. My favourite fairy tales were Hansel and Gretel and Red Riding Hood. Hansel and Gretel fooled the nasty old cannibalistic witch and pushed her into the her own oven - gruesome. And Red Riding Hood saw through the wolf’s disguise and was saved by the handsome woodsman (or so I like to think) who cut that grandma chowing canine real good. It seemed so much better than Sleeping Beauty who spent all those years laying as she waited for Prince Charming. And what’s up with Rapunzel, just hanging out in a tower brushing her hair all day.

The other thing I did when I was growing up was to mentally rewrite the unsatisfactory ends of stories or movies. I never did this on purpose. I wasn’t even aware I was doing it for a long time. I just know that when I re-watched a movie or re-read a story I would think that’s not what happened last  time. I should have known then I was destined to become a writer.

So when I finally came to writing my own stories, I used all the rules that made sense to me and discard. Like reimaging a move, I could take the best part and add my own spin. Like my vampires - they are not undead, they can see themselves in the mirror and are not afraid of crosses and such. Yet they can’t go out in the daylight, they need blood to survive and are practically invulnerable.

The same goes for the witches in my latest book SIN’S DARK CARESS. I took the parts of witchcraft mythology and added my own lore. If they are a familial witch, they can use magic and have an animal familiar, but they can’t use magic without an animal familiar. I also have other kinds of witches that have different ways of using magic. Each has their own lore.

So have you ever wanted to make up your own endings or change the rules because they just don’t make sense to you? Leave a comment and I'll give away a copy of either of my books to two commenters! 




***Tracy's winners are Jo Mc and Kelly Ethan!  Please email totebag@authorsoundrelations.com with your mailing details!***

26 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I have at times. I've read books that have not ended to my satisfaction. The most frustrating of these is a vague ending. You are left thinking WHAT?

host said...

I did when I was a child, I forgot about it when I grew up. Not sure why... I think I'll give it a try again :)

Eli Yanti said...

i did, but it has been so long ago

Dina said...

yes on some books

Lil said...

I have occasionally while reading a book thought of alternatives in ending or details. However, I most love it when an author re-imagines things like origination lore of a being and makes a story feel really fresh.

little lamb lst at yahoo dot com

Pat Cochran said...

Maybe what you are talking about is why so
many times I get the feeling that the book
ended too soon! Then there have been
books with much detail throughout and the
story winds up in 5 to 10 pages. I'm left
with the feeling that I could have written
a better ending!

Pat C.

*yadkny* said...

I have definitely found myself wanting to make up my own endings or change the rules... especially if it's a story that I have become completely invested in because it's so good.

yadkny@hotmail.com

erin said...

Congrats on the newest release!

OMG! I was totally the same way!!! I'd "play" the book like a movie in my head and the characters would continue on. My chore was to walk the dogs every day so that was perfect for daydreaming :)

Kylie Griffin said...

I never understood why the conventions for paranormal creatures had to "seem" to conform to the usual perception/rules - so I like the idea of authors taking a familiar trope and twisting it into something new.

I also liked rewriting movies/TV shows/stories in my mind as a kid - a bit like one of those "choose your own adventure" stories form the 80's, particularly when I didn't like the ending or even one of the characters. They'd be erased entirely! LOL

The fun thing as a kid was that you got to act out these new stories! :-)

T, fantastic to see SIN'S DARK CARESS out on shelves - I LOVE the cover! It' a stunner!!!

kellyethan said...

Always. As a kid I'd write the next book in a series if the author took too long..snicker. Even now I like to play what if...What if the character didn't pick up that mystical artefact that reeks of dark energy. What happens if the author wrote about that secondary character instead etc. Best bit of being an author...
xxxx
Kelly Ethan

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Tracey!

I agree with everyone, great cover!

And yep, when the ending wasn't what I wanted/expected, I'd be thinking of what I would have done to make it better =)

Tracey O'Hara said...

I agree. Hindsight is a kicker too esp in your own work.

Tracey O'Hara said...

Always fun :)

Tracey O'Hara said...

I never stopped - but probably more aware now.

Tracey O'Hara said...

that is great to hear.

Tracey O'Hara said...

yes - I know what you mean.

Tracey O'Hara said...

I get a little sad when I come to the end of the books that I am totally invested in.

Tracey O'Hara said...

LOL - I love it. Walking the dog and daydreaming is how I would love to spend my life.

Tracey O'Hara said...

thanks sweetie and congrats on your latest released too. :)

donnas said...

Thats what I love about paranormals. The author can change the rules to make it work for their story. And there are so many different variations and combos available that there is often something new.

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Na said...

I've read books where the endings have been unexpected or non-satisfying but rarely do I want to change the endings. Sometimes a certain ending will have me thinking more about the story and see why things are the way they are. I'll wish the characters were happier if it was a sad ending though. I'm not fond of endings that don't make sense though.

Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

Tracey O'Hara said...

I agree Kelly - imagination is a blessing. :)

Tracey O'Hara said...

Thanks Mel.

Tracey O'Hara said...

I agree Donnas, I love it when an author takes known mythology and twists it.

Tracey O'Hara said...

I don't mind a sad ending or a surprise ending - as long as it makes sense.

Jo Mc said...

Yes! Then and now. TV shows, movies, books - doesn't matter. If the ending is too abrupt or doesn't make sense I definitely rewrite it in my head until it's the way I like.
Congrats on the new release, Trace. Can't wait to read it and find out what those witches get up to!