Pages

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Sarah Gilman - Local Writing


 Thanks so much to Lee for hosting today!

When I was in college, I read a horror novel set in Vermont, my home state. I went on to read many of the author’s books, and it turned out he grew up in the same town I did. This was my introduction to local authors and locally-set books, and I’ve read dozens since then. Though I didn’t even consider a writing career myself until years later, these local novels and authors have been a significant inspiration for me. From the first words I wrote, I explored local settings. All the books in my Return to Sanctuary series, paranormal romances from Entangled Publishing, are set in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Quebec—where much of my family on my mother’s side is originally from.

Books and movies set in New York City, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., etc, are plentiful and easily found. For some people, of course, these are local books. But as a girl who grew up in a small town with no traffic light, I find a unique pleasure in reading books and knowing exactly where the characters are—a brick-faced Italian restaurant by the river? I ate there last week! Stone medical center? I have an appointment soon! It brings a smile to my face. Every state has its local authors and books. I hope every reader explores this fabulous niche, regardless of which genre the local books fall into.

In Vermont, we have fantastic paranormal horror authors, mystery thriller authors, and bestselling romance authors. The community is rich in lesser-known writers, self-published and traditionally published. Don’t even get me started on the poets! It must be in the New England air. Just one more reason I love living here.

Readers, do you read authors from your home state and books set in your area? What do you love the most about them?

Wings of Redemption:

Humans and archangels don’t mix on the best occasions. When Saffron Morin goes to the gates of the demon colony, Eden, in search of her sister, she meets an archangel who is curious one minute and hostile the next, and she ends up the colony’s “guest” against her will. 

Kestrel’s archangel psychic talent tells him the human woman’s life is in danger. Despite her family’s association with poachers who hunt archangels for their valuable feathers, he vows to save her life. Enemies by birth, lovers by choice, they give in to growing attraction as days pass. 

Even if he succeeds in saving her life, he must hurt her to protect others of his kind, and he may not be able to live with himself after a betrayal he has no choice but to commit. In order to find redemption, the Collector’s daughter and an archangel must first find each other.

Twitter: Gilman_Sarah

Sarah Gilman started her first novel in third grade. She never finished that story, but never gave up the dream. Her fascination with wings also began at that age, when images of the ancient Egyptian goddess Isis captured her imagination and never let go. Now a paranormal romance writer, she employs her love of writing to bring the allure of winged creatures to the pages of her novels. Sarah lives in Vermont with her supportive husband and two spoiled cats.
The first full-length novel in the Return to Sanctuary series, Out in Blue, will be available on January 29, 2013!  http://www.entangledpublishing.com

6 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I very rarely read a book from my country, state or area. Mostly because the writers don't see it the way I do & that just messes with me.

Liz Flaherty said...

I seek out Hoosier authors or books that are placed in Indiana. I also--since Vermont is my favorite place and one of my kids and his family live there (St. Johnsbury)--seek out Vermont-placed romances and women's fiction. It's an interesting point, one I never gave much thought to.

melydia said...

Living near Washington, DC, gives me a good selection of "local" lit, but much of it is written by people who have evidently never actually been here. Dan Brown seems to think one can cross Freedom Plaza and duck into Metro Center Station, when in fact they're about four blocks from each other. James Patterson insists locals refer to the Smithsonian museums as "The Smithy" (we don't) and occasionally refers to a mystical city in Northern Virginia called Church Falls. (Perhaps he means Falls Church?)

Also frustrating is how 99% of books set in Washington are political thrillers, which don't really interest me all that much. We're not all politicians here. Really.

I do, however, enjoy reading books that take place in locations I've visited or am reasonably familiar with, since those little local touches make me feel like I'm part of a secret club who gets the extra references. Some have also inspired me to visit new places because I read about them. I love that.

Eli Yanti said...

Long ago yes but now I mostly read English book

Pat Cochran said...

I've read many books set in Texas, but
few set in my hometown, Houston. Most
of those I've read by area authors aren't
recognizable as being set here. Others
have been historical westerns with place
names from the area.

Pat C.

Sunnymay said...

I enjoy reading local flavor books because it reminds me of those places I've been and those tickling me to explore. Les Roberts has 13 mysteries set in Northeast Ohio and a recent novella, A Christmas Story in Cleveland, which was made into a play this season.