Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Laura Lee Guhrke: Matchmaking in the modern world


The heroine of my next book is a matchmaker. My wedding is at the end of June. How are these connected? I’m getting to that.

I was a confirmed bachelorette. Having had my heart broken (or having unintentionally broken somebody else’s) too many times, I’d given up finding love. I went solo to every party or wedding. I stopped agreeing to blind dates (the last straw was the guy who wanted to roll a joint using my shoulder; I declined to oblige). I refused to do internet dating (too risky) or speed dating (too silly). I debated about matchmaking services: NYT bestselling romance novelist paired with hot multi-billionaire by high powered female exec matchmaker, but I decided there’s a reason I write fiction, and gave up that idea. No, I was Single Forever.

Then one night I met a guy through friends, and six years later, we’re getting married. None of us started out the evening thinking he and I would get together, but by the end of the night, everyone but me was in on the plot.

The stuff of my own love life has always been part of my writing. In my next book, WHEN THE MARQUESS MET HIS MATCH (out October 29), the matchmaking female exec of my imagination is now Belinda Featherstone, Victorian matchmaker to rich American girls seeking titled British husbands. Her matches always work out, until she falls in love with her own client. That’s a disaster that in real life probably would have happened to me. Thankfully, I found love by accident (sort of), and that’s the best thing that could ever have happened to me.

How about you? Have you ever been successfully matched up by friends? Have you matched up anyone else? If so, how did it go? Can matchmaking work, or is it just disaster waiting to happen?

6 comments:

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

How about you write a book/blog about blind dates that were soooo bad....We could share stories...

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

PS.. congrats on your wedding.. please share your celebration plans!

Pat Cochran said...

Best Wishes to you and Congratulations to
your groom on the upcoming nuptials! As
for match ups, they never worked for me!
Honey and I met at a mutual friend's par-
ty back in the medieval days. We've known
each other for 54 years and have been mar-
ried for 52 years.

Pat C.

penney said...

This sounds really good thanks! Congratulations
Penney

Laura Lee Guhrke said...

Hi, all! Sorry I'm late to the party. My deadline is killing me!

About a blind dates blog, my question is: do I have to? I'm not sure I want to relive mine. And thanks for the wedding congrats. It's crazy trying to plan a wedding and finish a book at the same time.

Lory Lee said...

Wow, this sound very interesting. Can't wait to read this! But no, haven't tried matchmaking and I don't think I'm going to try it if I don't really the know the people I'm matching. It might turn into a disaster and I might carry this guilt if something happen to any of them (specially to the girl.)