Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Katherine Garbera: My favorite place to be for the Holidays

For me Christmas is about family and having everyone in the same place.  Some years we have everyone to our house in the UK and then other years we all go home to Christmas but I’m not happy unless I can see and talk to everyone on Christmas morning.  And to be fair if we go home, it’s Florida. Sort of the best of both worlds by being home and at a vacation spot.

Some of our traditions involve going to Walt Disney World and seeing the Candlelight Processional.  When I was in high school I was part of the mass choir when the used to process up Main Street in the Magic Kingdom.  And when I worked at Disney I was part of the Cast Choir and stood on a platform above the train station to sing. 

We’ve never vacationed any where at Christmas and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  I used to dream of going to a snowy ski lodge every year but then I wouldn’t be able to cook and bake with my family.  And as much as I like the thought of a white Christmas I guess I’m used to sunshine and shorts. 

I also like sitting in the living room cuddled up next to my hubby with just the lights of the Christmas tree on and talking quietly about the holiday and how everyone loved the gifts we got them.  We usually have a glass of Baileys on ice while we do it and a fire in our fireplace.

When we are at my parents’ house for Christmas they join us and the kids who are teenagers now often pick some new blockbuster movie for us to watch.  It’s just nice to have that time together without trying to cram in extra things like I’d want to do during a vacation.

Katherine




1 comment:

Kandy Shepherd said...

Lovely post Katherine! We like a family Christmas too. Because both my husband and I are from English backgrounds, we go all out with the traditional cold climate foods, even when it's a sweltering Australian Christmas Day. Sunshine and shorts--that's what it's like Down Under, too.I hope you have a wonderful celebration this year.