Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

There's Something in a Name!

Every author knows there's something in a name.  We agonize over what to name a character.  Looking for the right name to convey something we want to say about the character…something that fits them.  I was thinking about names for a new book and I wondered what a name like Holly said about me.  And hopefully it speaks of the holiday glee!  But here's the thing, my mother named my Holly not because my birthday was near the holidays (it's not…it's in August), but because she didn't think anyone could find a nickname for Holly.  And that is why I've gone by Hall most of my life! So maybe it speaks a bit about me bucking expectation and trying to chart my own path…I think I like that as well.

And as I thought about my name, I realized that despite the fact I was born in August, my name connection to the holidays shows in my work.  Turns out I've written a lot of holiday books. I have two new Christmas books out this year, and a number of backlist Christmas (and one Thanksgiving) books available as eBooks.  I think a lot of my heroines buck expectations and chart their own paths as well.  From Quincy, a maid who discovers that she's not only good at solving mysteries, but she also has a talent for writing, to Maeve, who came from humble beginnings and despite that has lived her life believing one person can make a difference.

Yes, there's something in a name.  And here are a few of my holiday books that are either new releases, or older books that are still available for eReaders.

New Releases in December:

Quincy's Back for Christmas in a in 

Spruced Up: A Maid in LA Holiday Novella.



Quincy Mac has faced a murder and an art thief. She's dealt with three teenaged boys on her own. She's even braved a brand new romance. But nothing she'd done in the past has prepared Quincy for this...she's heading home for Christmas! She's planning a quiet week with her family, but finds herself with another mystery to solve! 

Join Quincy as she celebrates with her family and solves a mystery in a way that's in keeping with the Christmas season!

Review:
"I fell in love with Quincy Mac when I learned she was once almost the spokeswoman for Dazzling Smile toothpaste.  I have a fondness for great stories, for toothpaste...and for teeth."  ~Hermey, Dentist to the North Pole

Available for Kindle





A Valley Ridge Christmas

...the name says it all.  It's stand alone, but if you've read the previous Valley Ridge Wedding trilogy, you'll meet up with old friends in this Christmas story.  Take one Pollyanna-ish librarian who lives by the mantra, I can't save the world, but I can try, and one Scrooge-ish man who is not thrilled by the idea of a white Christmas, add in a homeless family and you a new holiday story!

Reviews:

"A generous heroine who shares everything but herself and a smart but wary hero who needs to make peace with his past find friendship, love, and belonging in this sweet confection that channels It's a Wonderful Life and has links to Jacobs's earlier Valley Ridge books."
~Library Journal, 10-15-14

"...quick witted dialogue and spark." ~RT Bookreviews

Available in December at your local bookstore, for Kindle and Nook.  It's also available as part of a special 3 eBook bundle on Kindle and Nook.




   Other Holiday books:

Take meddling Nana Vancy who wants to play matchmaker along with her two best friends, known as The Silver Bells (Isabel and Annabelle) and set a romance two the tune ofThe 12 Days of Christmas and you have a fun Christmas romance!  Kindle and B&N.

Last year's holiday short story (also featuring Nana Vancy) is finally available for Nook!  Nana Vancy thinks she's out of the matchmaking business...at least for people.  She's better with pets.  But her Hungarian magic still has some kick.  Kindle and Nook



For Thanksgiving, Once Upon a Thanksgiving.  This was the first in my American Romance American Dad series.  Kindle and Nook.  The second American Dad book was Once Upon a Christmas.  Kindle and Nook.

Three moms miss the first PTA meeting of the year and get stuck on the worst committee…where they find friendship and maybe love!

Unexpected Gifts.  A woman who teaches teen parents finds her own personal journey echoing her girls' when she finds herself unexpectedly pregnant and jilted by the baby's dad.  Then just as unexpectedly a special man enters her life. Kindle and Nook

Laura Watson suffered the most unimaginable pain.  She meets a man who's also gone through a horrible loss of his own.  Can these two damage people find the strength to love again?  Kindle and Nook.



2 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I do like the name Holly, and yes, it does conjure up images of Christmas for me.

HollyJacobs said...

Thanks, Mary! I really sort of like it and I'm very comfortable being Holly or Hall! I think that's part of the trick in naming characters…finding a name that they're comfortable with!