Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Shona Husk: Change isn’t easy


Temptation in a Bottle is very much a story of shaking things up and stepping out of the comfort zone. I wrote the first draft of this story about 2 years ago and since then it has sat around waiting for attention. Mid 2013 I decided to do something about it, it was the perfect story for me to self-publish. Boyfriend in a Bottle set in the same world is one of my best selling novellas and I had previously re-released a novella that I had got the rights back to so I knew what I was doing (mostly). There is something just a little scary about taking the jump without the safety net of the publisher and yet also liberating as success or failure is mine alone.

The second half of 2013 was also when I decided to make the jump from part-time civil designer/part time author to full time author.

While lots of writers dream of making the transition, and I realize that I am very fortunate to have been able to do it, it wasn’t without struggle both internal and external.

The usual worries about no fixed income were there (fortunately I have a hubby who has always supported my writing and backed my decision to write full time), but what I didn’t expect were the doubts that came from me. The unhelpful what ifs. What if I can’t do it and I never sell another a book? What if it’s the wrong thing to do?

As I was preparing Temptation in a Bottle for publication I found that the characters were experiencing these same doubts even though they needed change in their lives.

Gage the genie wants to be free of his bottle, but is he willing to risk death? He wants to experience life as a real man—but what if that’s not what he gets?

Sasha is leaving the city for a country town and even though she feels the need to get away she still wonders if she is running away or running to something.

What I learned is that change is hard, even if it’s a change that you desperately want to happen. But taking that first step and the one after it puts you on the path to breaking free.

With January almost over already I hope people are finding the strength to keep their resolutions and change whatever it is in their life they want to change. Hopefully you can already look back and see how far you have come.

Two months ago I was trying to juggle too many things…today I feel better for having dropped the day job ball. Was it the right choice? We’ll see.


Three time ARRA finalist Shona Husk lives in Western Australia at the edge of the Indian Ocean. Blessed with a lively imagination she spent most of her childhood making up stories. As an adult she discovered romance novels and hasn’t looked back. Drawing on history and myth, she writes about heroes who are armed and dangerous but have a heart of gold—sometimes literally.
With stories ranging from sensual to scorching, she is published with Carina Press, Ellora’s Cave, Samhain Publishing and Sourcebooks. You can find out more at www.shonahusk.com 

No comments: