Pages

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Kelly Hunter: How (Not) To Manage Matchmaking Parents

The world becomes a tricky place when parents start taking an interest in the love life off their offspring. Good intentions abound. Awkward introductions become a regular occurrence. Parents think they know best! I grew up tall and gangly, and my lovely and very practical aunt, bless her, never stopped introducing me to tall, rich men with good teeth. To this day I don’t know where she found them, but I’m an aunt now and I wish I had her skill.

When it came to writing my latest heroine, I happily called on past experience when it came to matchmaking relatives. I gave heroine Ella Grace a father who was a long-time widower and who wanted nothing more than to see his beloved daughter happily married to a wealthy, well-bred cowboy… and then happily settled somewhere close by. And while Ella Grace isn’t allergic to this idea, she’s certainly not in any hurry to comply. For starters, she has some thoughts on the kind of man she wants as well.

When Ella’s father advertises in the local paper for a docile house-husband for her, Ella Grace responds with an ad of her own, pinned to the wall of the local saloon.

‘PERFECT LOVER WANTED’

Ella underlined the heading and started in on the specific skill set required.
‘Experienced, attentive, innovative—
‘Male,’ Jo added. ‘You’d better put down male.’
‘Experienced, attentive, innovative male bed mate required for hardworking cattle dynasty heiress with no time to meet a man and no desire for a husband of any kind, docile or otherwise. Should I ask for references?’
‘Yes. And you need to ask for a photo and a phone number as well. I know how this works.’
That’s the setup for What A Bride Wants, the opening story in the Montana Born Brides series. The covers are all gloriously romantic and make my author heart swell with joy. And we’re all hoping that the words inside make our readers happy too!

Leave a comment below to go in the draw to win What A Bride Wants in e-book. Let us know what kind of man your family members would choose for you! ;)


Kelly Hunter

*** Kelly's winner is Anne! Please email totebag@authorsoundrelations.com with your mailing info.***

13 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I think they would choose an intelligent, hard-working, good man for me.

Anne said...

They would definitely choose the wrong man - they'd pick who they thought I ought to have rather than who I would want to have. I loved this story, Kelly. So identified with Ella. And he is gorgeous!

Laurie G said...

They would chose an athletic, sports loving man to fit in with my family. Intelligent, compassionate and honesty would also feature strongly.

Anonymous said...

My family would have chosen someone older. I didn't :)) Simply adored What A Bride Wants, Kelly. Loved it to bits! x

erin said...

lol... I shudder to think... we all love each other but my parents and I are complete opposites where it concerns politics, religion and philosophies. So if they like him, I probably wouldn't! Thanks for sharing!

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

humm... wish I'd paid more attention...wouldn't have been divorced at 21...

Kelly Hunter said...

Thanks so much for hosting the first of the Montana Born Brides, Lee. Appreciated!

Kelly Hunter said...

Good choice!

Kelly Hunter said...

He's also rich. Wish fulfilment anyone?

Kelly Hunter said...

And if you weren't interested you could send him to me...

Kelly Hunter said...

Thanks so much, Trish.

Kelly Hunter said...

Big family gatherings must get interesting ;)

Kelly Hunter said...

I too wish I'd paid more attention at times. So many times...