Pages

Monday, June 02, 2014

Tales of the Unexpected - Berlin, with Annie West

As you read this I'll be in Europe. I'm attending the Loveletter Convention for romance readers and writers in Berlin, in north Germany. After that I'll get to travel a little, researching locations for future books. Doesn't that sound marvellous? Sigh. Sometimes I just adore being a writer.
 
I'm so looking forward to meeting other romance fans in Germany. I gather there are attendees from all across Europe! I've heard great things about this Convention and it should be lots of fun. I'm also looking forward to visiting the city of Berlin, even just for a few days. What do you think of when Berlin is mentioned? For me it used to be something like this: the quadriga statue on top of the Brandenburg gate. Or the Berlin wall, the Cold War, global politics and all sorts of very serious historical events.
But not now. You see, I've visited the city once before (again on a short visit) and I was surprised at what I found, in addition to the serious monuments, historic sites and marvellous museums (if you're an archaeology fan, go to Berlin!). So, in the interests of armchair travel, and a little fun, here are just a couple of the surprising things I found in that serious city.
 
 
Yes, that IS a giraffe made of Lego. And instead of horns, he/she has sprouted daisies on its head. NOT what I expected to find in the centre of the city.
 
 
On the theme of animals, how about this cute little outfit spied in one of the biggest department stores I've ever seen. My informant told me it's the biggest in Europe and certainly its gourmet food floor was impressive enough to be just that. Back to the photo though - how do you fancy a pair of real leather lederhosen, embroidered with eidelweiss flowers for your dog?
 
 
As a romance writer I was particularly thrilled to find this frog prince in a well-known chocolate shop. Honestly, just the scent of cocoa-laden richness in that place was enough to make me feel faint. Yuum!
 
And, having visited one chocolate shop, how could I miss the chance to visit a second? If you happen to know Ritter Sport chocolates, you'll recognise these as giant-sized blocks of chocolate, piled from floor to ceiling. Enough to make any chocolate fan salivate.
 
Have you ever visited a place expecting to find one thing, only to discover something completely different and surprising? What's your favourite surprise find in a new place?
 
If you're after a surprise find of another sort, you might want to check out my first ever romance novella. It's got all the emotional punch and sizzle of my full length novels but in a bite-sized chunk. BACK IN THE ITALIAN'S BED is on sale now for just 99 cents from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Here's a taste:
                                                             
No woman walks away from billionaire Fabrizio Armati’s bed. No woman except Jenna MacDonald. Now he’ll stop at nothing to get her back, and keep her there.
 
It’s love at first sight for Jenna when charismatic hotelier Fabrizio Armati sweeps her off her feet in Venice. That chance encounter sparks a sizzling affair that lasts until she discovers Fabrizio sees her as no more than a convenient, expendable mistress. Then her world falls apart.
Six months later Jenna tells herself she’s moved on. Until Fabrizio walks into a meeting to find her working for his greatest rival. She’s about to discover just how far he’ll go to get her back in his bed.
When revenge turns to passion, will surrender be on his terms, or hers? 

5 comments:

Anna Campbell said...

Annie, what a fun post. I love your eye for the quirky although I find the dachshund in lederhosen idea a little disturbing! The lego giraffe is great, isn't it? So envious of your trip - loving the updates. The photos of the snowy mountains are just breathtaking. Looking forward to more travelers tales!

Unknown said...

Thoroughly enjoyed this novella! I visited Germany awhile back and I would sure like to go back there.

Kandy Shepherd said...

Thank you Annie for sharing your travel photos. I love that giraffe. I have never been to Berlin and would love to go there one day--you have whetted my appetite! My daughter visited there last year and reported that it was a lively, fun city.
I'm reading BACK IN THE ITALIAN'S BED and loving it!

Annie West said...

Hi Cindy, Kandy and Anna. Thanks for stopping by. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the blog. Sorry I wasn't around to chat with you - I was in Berlin - yay! Had a marvellous time.

Cindy, and Kandy, I'm so pleased you enjoyed BACK IN THE ITALIAN'S BED! That's fantastic to hear.

TashNz said...

Hi Annie l LOVE your travel pics :)