Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Kim Boykin: ROMANCE AND THE PERFECT TURKEY RECIPE!


Kim Boykin

Hey, y'all warmest greetings from the not so warm South! For me, the holidays are all about food and family, and love. And FOOD! 

It is not lost on me that every story I’ve ever written is bound together with passion and food. In many cases, the hero or heroine uses a delicious dish to say I love you, I care about you. This connection is played out in my new novella from the Tule Publishing Group Just In Time For Christmas.
Set in Magnolia Bay, a fabulous little Lowcountry town with its own unique twist on the holidays.  Just in Time for Christmas is the story of smoking hot Logan Mauldin and Miranda Hamilton, a sassy Southern woman who is bit obsessed about making the holidays perfect for her guests at her historic B&B.

 




Now, I'll be honest with you, normally, I hate turkey, but my husband LOVES my roasted turkey, had rather have my it than fillet mignon. Why? Because his mother made a mean turkey twice a year, so good friends used
to ask her if she'd cook their turkey for them, and she often did.

My mom made all our holiday meals special, but especially breakfast on Christmas morning when she always made a sensational breakfast for us to savor after we tore into our gifts.


Sometimes this breakfast was huge, elaborate, and most decidedly Southern. Bacon, grits, eggs, sausages. Chocolate pancakes. Other times it was just a few yummy finger foods. Sausage balls. Tiny quiches. Date nut balls. 
Mosey on down the page for the red velvet pancake recipe mom perfected and of course my recipe for the perfect turkey.

All of this comes with my warmest wishes for you and your family to have wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.

Here’s a little taste of 
Just in Time for Christmas!

Nobody does Christmas like Miranda Hamilton, and now that she finally has her chance to chair Magnolia Bay's tree lighting and the cotillion, which benefits her late mother’s breast cancer foundation, this Christmas is shaping up to be the best ever. That is until her childhood nemesis Logan Mauldin buys his way on her committee and starts making plans of his own.

Logan Mauldin loves to get under Miranda's very sexy skin, and it's only fair. She's been getting under his since long before their first kiss at 13. Logan’s the last man interested in co-chairing a Christmas committee or participating in a sexy bachelor auction, but since that night he interrupted Miranda on a date and cornered her under the mistletoe, he can't stop thinking about her

Christmas cheer isn’t the only thing that heats up between the Miranda and Logan, but, thanks to a lie that is as much her fault as it is his, he loses the woman he’s loved since forever. Logan will need a Christmas miracle for Miranda to forgive him. A grand gesture to melt her heart and win her back just in time for Christmas.


THE PERFECT TURKEY RECIPE

I do not like turkey, but I can’t keep my hands off of this one. It’s that good.

* A turkey is always better when it has been brined. My favorite turkey brine is The Spice Hunter’s Turkey Brine with fruit, herbs, and savory spices. 

1. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 C sugar, 1/4 c. salt, 2 T. black pepper (Preferably fresh ground), 2t. ground thyme.

2. Rub turkey with olive oil. It’s like suntan oil for bird and will make it a beautiful golden brown. You may use an herb or a butter flavored oil if you like. Sprinkle the topside of the turkey with the above mixture. For an optional herby flavor, have some extra fresh rosemary in your kitchen or yard? Cut several branches, wad it up branches and all and put in the chest cavity.

3. (Optional) Bacon lovers, crisscross 4-6 slices of bacon on top of the bird and cook as directed. Tent with aluminum foil for about half of the recommended cooking time. Remove the foil and finish cooking. Enjoy!

MOM'S RED VELVET PANCAKES


1 can cream cheese frosting                                  
1 cup whole pecans toasted
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons red food coloring

DIRECTIONS

Whisk the flour, white sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt together in a bowl until evenly blended; set aside. Beat the eggs in a separate mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in 1/4 cup milk with the buttermilk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, vinegar, and food coloring. Stir in the flour mixture until moistened. Drizzle in the melted butter, and stir until the butter has incorporated and small lumps of flour remain.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto the griddle, and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry. Flip, and cook until browned on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter. Top with syrup and pecans (and an optional dollop cream cheese icing) to serve.

So what is your favorite holiday recipe to make for family and friends? 

What's your favorite food that says"I love you?"


6 comments:

Janine said...

I love turkey, but I would never attempt to try to cook one myself. The panacke receipe sounds really good.

Unknown said...

Forgot to mention, y'all. You can brine your bird in a huge sealed Ziplock bag in a cooler. Make sure you keep enough ice on your bird to keep it cold and drinking up those good juices! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Turkey's aren't hard, Janine, but sometimes it's nice to have someone else deal with the bird. Hope you get lots of your favorites this Thanksgiving, including a tasty bird!

Between the Pages with Katrina said...

Kim, I love cooking for Thanksgiving. My family and I love turkey. Not certain what my favorite thing to fix is. I always look forward to the potato salad (my grandma's recipe), turkey and dressing, and I always fix banana pudding and a derby pie. If I deviate my menu the family complains. Thank you for sharing. Those pancakes look and sound yummy. I may have to borrow it this year. Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Banana pudding is one of my favorites too! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

dstoutholcomb said...

I love stuffing, aka dressing, my husband loves my red velvet cake, and my boys love the monkey bread for breakfast.

Denise