Pages

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Top Five For Summer

I'm a list maker.  Few things in the world make me as happy as making a list of things.  I love all the seasons for different reasons but here are my top five for summer.

1.  Reading.  It's okay to sit outside with my sunglasses on and glass of iced tea and just read.  I don't have to rush to pick the kids up from school and since my kids are bookworms like me, they are happy enough to spend time with me reading.



2. Dining al fresco.  I don't know if it's because I'm Italian-American or because my happiest summer memories are of my family gathered around a long table made of sawhorses and plywood draped with fabric from my mom's sewing shed, but I love sitting outside eating and laughing with friends.  The food has to be cooked on the grill and accompanied by light side dishes of fresh fruits and veggies.  And there has to be wine.  :)

3. Late nights and mornings.  Because the kids are out of school my schedule is more relaxed.  And in the UK the sun is out until 9 p.m. so it's really not that hard to stay up late.  My favorite nights are when we are all gathered around the kitchen table playing games and talking.

4. Travel.  Even when we are planning an easy going summer we end up taking a trip.  It might be just to the beach or maybe to a historic sight we haven't seen before.  But we always make a trip somewhere.

5.Make-up or rather lack of the need to wear it.  I always tan up in the summer and my skin hardly needs any make up.  My hair gets sun streaked from long days at the beach or pool and I just feel robustly healthy in summer. Maybe it's because I'm outside all the time and walking to places instead of taking my car, but summertime always makes me feel good.

What's your favorite part of the summer season?

2 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

I like all of these five, so think I'll just borrow your list. I'm not all that crazy about cooking outside, but have no problem with carrying the plates out and eating there.

dstoutholcomb said...

relaxed schedule with the kids home

Denise