Pages

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Addison Fox: Ending & Beginnings

I’m fascinated by change. As humans we resist it more often than not, but change is the catalyst that moves us forward. Change is what brings new things into our lives. Change, whether we like it or not, is a guarantee.

I was thinking about this relative to a colleague who is moving on. He’s been at my company for 9 years and is off to a new opportunity that will be exciting and challenging. We gave him a going away party last night and over and over – even with the sadness he had saying good-bye to everyone – there was a smile on his face.

It was that smile that got me. He’s excited about what comes next.

As a writer, life changes are the core focus of my work. Stories, at their very essence, are about change. In order to have a story that captures attention (and lasts for 300+ pages!) you need something to happen to your characters. Something that takes them out of their comfort zone and pushes them forward.

So as I sit here typing this, I know I will miss my colleague. He’s someone whose opinion I value and someone who I’ve always appreciated having in my corner at work. But I’m also excited for him. There are new things to learn and new challenges to rise up to.

Endings and beginnings. They’re intricately linked. And they are the things that move us forward.

Thanks for joining me today!
XO,
Addison



Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in New York and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. You can find her at her home on the web at www.addisonfox.com. Her next two releases, AT LAST from St. Martin’s Swerve and A HUNTER UNDER THE MISTLETOE from Harlequin Nocturne will both be out in November. You can visit her at her website at www.addisonfox.com 

1 comment:

dstoutholcomb said...

change is a good time for renewal

denise