Pages

Friday, February 02, 2018

Reading and Writing

By:  Susan Sands

I'm reading and writing this month, but my reading load has increased exponentially between now and the next couple months. While normally I would spend my days writing with a little reading on the side, it seems I'm full up with reading as well as crafting stories.

I'm judging two contests and taking critiques for another workshop where I'm giving two one-hour talks on craft. Me? Craft discussions? Critiques? A few years ago, I would have actually laughed out loud at the idea of telling someone else how to improve their writing or edit their stories to make them stronger. But I've learned a few things since working with editors and publishing books of my own. Sharing any bit of wisdom and information is the very least I can do for those who are working so hard to get to the next level with their manuscript, find an agent, or publish for the first time.

I've had help from wonderful author friends along the way, and without it, I don't know where I would be in this very difficult process. We put in our time for others because it's our turn. I'm not a brilliant writer, but sharing the hard lessons that might make it less hard for someone else in their journey feels right.

I continue to learn about myself as a writer with every page I complete and rewrite. I still attend craft workshops and industry talks by other authors in hopes I'll hear something to get me to the next level in my own journey. Still waiting for the next light bulb to go on...

Wish me luck to finish all my reading, critiquing, and stay on my writing schedule!! It really is the most fun job in the world.

I hope everyone stays warm and dry until spring finds you.

Take care!

Susan Sands

















1 comment:

dstoutholcomb said...

I know you have a lot going on in your personal life--it's amazing you can do all this on top of that.

Thinking of you and your family.

Denise